BAKE Tracker

Wednesday 11 March 2015

NAKURU MCAs WRESTLING..The chronicles

For those who have analogue TVs I am very sure you do not know that Nakuru MCAs decided to host a WWE inside their assembly yesterday. All in all, these are not news because Nairobi, Garissa, Embu, Kiambu, Kakamega, Makueni have engaged in running battles just to mention a few. It has become a normal routine to square out our differences physically bearing in mind our national assembly has also done that. So Nakuru members of assembly felt they have not complied to their national duty of fighting over people's tax. SHAME ON YOU..but before i lament too much i have remembered that this issue once happened in my college years. The chronicles...

"Comrade power",,power!!! "Comrade power" power, " it has come to that moment that you must cast your vote wisely, you have to elect a leader who is self conscious and resonates with the comrade needs. We need a leader who will ensure the administration listens to our issues, we shall ensure that comrades stay in the institution comfortably." This was the speech that one of the candidates made. It was so nice and the guy was so promising, he was vying for the campus presidential position. He was everyone's darling, but he had not won my heart yet.  "...And we shall ensure the school bursaries are disbursed to the needy persons in right time and quantity to avoid interference with their learning time." That was the statement that made my heart go #kookoo and feel mesmerized. To be sincere, my school fees arrears could buy a piece of land in westie (as in western, an entire sugarcane plantation). I devoted myself to campaign for that guy without expecting anything in return other than he adheres to his manifesto. You can never doubt my campaigning capabilities because the guy won with a landslide.

Jubilation overwhelmed the entire campus as our favorite candidate who looked composed and ready to take the bull on its horns (like Kiraitu Murungi) had won. The first thing was to  compile a bursary committee that would ensure there is equity and no fraudulent activities occurred. The chairman had praised me for my support during the campaign time and he swore he would do anything as a return favor. He appointed me to the bursary committee, but due to my kindness i relinquished the seat to one of my classmates. After all, the chairman was my friend and i trusted my classmate. I immediately phoned my parents and told them to cast away their worries as i had gotten an alternative way of paying my school fees. Actually i started spending the little savings i had for my fees.

The committee met severally and the amount was released from the school accounts to the student union account. The notice board was filled with notices asking people to apply for the bursary as the money was available. For me, i did not need to apply but i decided to follow the protocol and apply. Within a week, the list of successful applicants was out and displayed in every notice board in school. Believe it or not, i could not imagine this, just imagine i was among the top 10 in the list and the next step was to meet with the committee.

Shock of all times is that the committee seemed not to be in an agreement during the meeting. They seemed tense when the names of those getting the money was being read out. Just imagine my name was read, then they said i should wait for a confirmation. That is when i saw my classmate pounce on the chairman. It was unbelievable to see the two sided committee fly a handle at each other. The threw hefty punches upon each other and we could not understand what was going on. It was so embarrassing, but there was one thing that my classmate kept on saying. Corruption, impunity, corruption!!! That is when i learnt that those people who qualified for the bursary had to pay the chairman a certain amount of money to be on the list. Bribery, corruption destroyed the party to be. I was in tears as i knew i could not manage to sit for the exams. It would be embarrassing to call my parents with the sad news.

Ooops!!! mum calling. I was tensed and frozen beyond zero degrees or campaign if you like. "Hello, i was just confirming that the CDF bursary has been awarded to you", mum said.















No comments:

Post a Comment