BAKE Tracker

Tuesday 21 April 2015

HOW A LADY MADE ME A PARENT WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING HER...The Chronicles.

The Christian's Holy Book narrates of how their savior Jesus Christ came to being. It is an obvious story of how a virgin got pregnant and bore a son who later became the world's savior. I believed in that because my faith allows me to, but i have first hand information of becoming a parent without siring or even knowing its mother.

It was around 6:30 in the evening as we sluggishly strolled along moi avenue after the classes were over. There was hue and cry in the busy noisy town as "Makangas"/touts were heard screaming for you at a distance to board their matatu. If at all you are new to Nairobi, this is the worst time to travel as the city is congested and the traffic jam resembles a colony of ants when migrating. The situation becomes even worse when you are suffering from financial drought because the bus fares are hiked and exaggerated. As a result, we were forced to waste as much time as possible to allow the traffic to ease and the fare to go down. The reflecting Kenya Cinema window panes became a favorite joint for ladies to go and view whether their bums are growing and if they had properly applied make-up. Who does that? Applying make-up at night and your going to board a matatu and go home, why become beautiful at this hour.

As we continued walking lazily, we found ourselves segmented into groups of two, three, and even five individuals. Each group was discussing their topic of interests such as college politics, girlfriends, alcohol, and i bet none was discussing educational matters. I found myself glued to my mobile device as i tried to send a text message to someone asking whether he could give me a loan of at least 500 shillings. The economic situation was that bad.

A swift, attracting, and ear catching voice asked to be excused. It belonged to a woman and i knew this was my chance to sweep an opportunity head over her heels. Without lifting my face from my phone, i said "yes please." Why would a stranger stop me, but since we were a group of students, i was not moved an inch. "Can you please hold her for me i want to withdraw money from an M-pesa Agent." I agreed vehemently without holding my thoughts even for a second. With my "kiherehere (excitement) I started stopping other students to see my new found bundle of joy.

Everyone was teasing, throwing the beautiful girl up and smiling at her. The baby was so beautiful to avoid her. I felt a zealous and emphatic connection with the child that i could see myself as a parent. The feeling did not last long when one of my classmates asked who its mother was. I bravely pointed at the M-pesa agent where she had entered to withdraw money. "Guys, it was a trap." The agent was completely empty other than the retailer. I moved my eyes quickly trying to locate her but she was nowhere to be found. Now there was a problem, a really huge problem. I tried to convince myself that the lady had entered another shop and she will be back in a few. Oh my goodness, after five minutes the script read from the same page. My classmates started departing one by one and it was so clear that this was my problem alone to handle.

I sat quietly on the municipal council structured seats in a whirl of deep thoughts. I heard my phone ring but i was not in the mood of checking it out. I forcefully removed it from the pocket hoping it was the baby's mother but the 500 i had borrowed had be channeled via mobile banking. This is the first time i received money and i did not celebrate even just giggling. I was between the famous rock and hard place as i fathomed what i was to do next.

That is how i became a parent without approaching any lady bodily or going through an adoption. My first year in college was full of misery. Please send me money via my phone number as i am still thinking of how to become a real father. The chronicles...





No comments:

Post a Comment